When people are struggling to lose weight, one of the things they blame is their poor metabolism. However, not many are aware of what really goes on in the metabolic process.
The metabolic process converts what is consumed into energy. This is the energy that helps you function daily, allowing you to complete mundane daily tasks, do some work, and do a bit of exercise. However, some factors such as your thyroid can affect your daily cycle. This gland is responsible for your metabolism and how it regulates energy throughout your body.
When your thyroid gland isn’t functioning properly, it can lead to serious health complications. These issues can include depression to mood swings and changes in your skin and nails. So if you’re worried about your health and think that your metabolism isn’t normal, you may be dealing with thyroid disease.
Although it’s best to reach out to your functional medicine doctor and take tests, it also pays to know the signs and symptoms that tell you that your metabolism isn’t functioning at its best.
- Constant Migraines: Hypothyroidism is a condition wherein an individual isn’t producing enough hormones to metabolize food. When this happens, you may experience constant and painful migraines.
- Dry Skin, Thinning Hair, and Brittle Nails: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, other signs and symptoms related to thyroid disease develop around the skin, hair, and nails.
- Unexpected Weight Gain: One of the signs your metabolism has slowed down is if you’re experiencing unexplained weight gain. So if you’re experiencing a more severe thyroid condition, you’ll experience more weight gain.
- Changes in Mood and Mental State: Changes in your mental health and mood can show that your metabolism is slowing down. This is because people with hypothyroid have decreased metabolism parts that are responsible for processing information in the brain.
- Irregular Heart Rhythm: If you have an overactive metabolism, you may experience an irregular heartbeat. With that said, it’s best to speak to a functional medicine doctor to help find the best remedy for this issue.
- Bowel Movement Issues: It will manifest in your digestive system, such as diarrhea, whether you have an excess or deficiency of thyroid hormone. Besides that, you may experience other gastrointestinal issues, so it’s best to get medical help immediately.
- Menstrual Issues: For women, when their metabolism changes, it will often affect their menstrual cycle. For this reason, it can make periods light, heavy, or irregular.
- Changes in Appetite: Another thing you can look out for is if you’re experiencing changes in your appetite. Those with hyperthyroidism tend to have an increased appetite, while hypothyroidism causes a loss of appetite.
The Bottom Line: Speak to a Credible Functional Medicine Doctor
Seeing as your metabolism can affect different aspects of your life and trigger serious health complications if you think you’re experiencing strange metabolic behaviors in your body, it’s best to speak to a functional medicine doctor.
Getting medical advice is crucial to ensure that you take the right steps to remedy the symptoms you’re experiencing. With their help, you’ll get customized treatment to help improve the quality of your life and ease discomfort and symptoms.
How Can Zubkov MD Help You?
Dr. Zubkov offers personalized care based on correcting your body’s biochemistry and metabolism using advanced laboratory and environmental testing. This integrative medicine manages chronic diseases, such as neurological disorders, in a customized approach.
Looking for a functional medicine doctor? Book an appointment today!